Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins

This might be my favorite book of The Hunger Games series. 
Haymitch’s voice comes through like a bell. I wanted to see more pages in the last third, and I wonder if this is the last installment in the series or if Collins has more to offer us of this world of Panem.

Haymitch as a reluctant everything is a compelling foil to the standard hero/ine arc, and provide just the right lens to view the inevitability of the Games and the social structures that built them. 

I particularly found the percolating resistance to the Games an interesting element. The Games seem always to have been the brainchild and darling of a small handful in the elite ranks, yet they not only come into being, they thrive and grow. Is it that evil is so difficult to stop, or is it simply that we are too resigned to try?